C H Brannam
C H Brannam Vase
C H Brannam
A Brannam Vase
In 1879 Thomas Brannam was producing domestic wares from the two potteries he owned in Barnstaple. His son Charles, who had studied at the Barnstaple School of Art Pottery under Alexander Lauder and earning the prestigious Queens Prize for Drawing in 1870, was soon brought into the business. Charles was to learn quickly becoming a natural thrower of large vases, showing off his sense of form and design.
Charles soon became so frustrated by the lack of artistic ambition that was shown by his father at the works, that he eventually persuaded him to rent him the Litchdon Street Pottery. With a few men and the most modest of means he made good progress, and in 1881 recruited the talented designer James Dewdney, from Lambeth and possibly Frederick Bowden. A year later, in 1882 Charles attracted retailers Howell & James who began taking the Brannam ware and now for the very first time Brannam pottery could be admired and purchased in London.
After this early success Charles took on William Baron, a very good designer who had decided to leave Doultons during 1884. Working with these talented designers the product range expanded, greatly adding to the variety of artistic designs being made. In 1885 the success of the Brannam Pottery was sealed when Queen Victoria ordered a vase and four jardinières. This allowed Charles to register the name "Royal Barum Ware" as the new trademark in 1886, Barum being the old Roman name for Barnstaple. Pottery making in Barnstaple can be traced back to the 16th century, thanks to the red clay being found locally at Fremington, which became characteristic of all Devon ware
We are constantly updating any archive material that can be found on the potteries that we show. Any new information to share with fellow collectors will be gladly received.